Below is an alphabetical list of the terms that are used in TouchPoint relating to Contributions.
- Batch Date
You find this in the Transactions Log. It is the date an online transaction (payment or online giving) closed. The date is sent to TouchPoint from the payment processor.
A Bundle is a handful (not an exact number) of envelopes or checks (or an electronic file) that will be processed as a group. A bundle is also the TouchPoint record of that group of contributions where you will record the specific information about that group - contribution date, deposit date, totals, and fund. We recommend that you limit your Bundle to about 50 items. This helps if you make a mistake and need to find a specific contribution.
- Bundle Header
- The Header is the information about the Bundle itself - the Bundle ID #, Status, Contribution Date, Bundle Type, Deposit Date, Total Cash, Total Checks, Total Coin, and Fund.
- Bundle ID #
- The ID# is a system-generated number that is assigned to each Bundle when it is created.
- Bundle Page
- This is the page for one specific Bundle where you will edit the Bundle details or change the status of the Bundle (open or closed). If there are details (individual contributions already posted to that Bundle), those will appear in a list. This page contains links to allow you to create a new Bundle or edit that Bundle using PostBundle/Edit.
- Bundle Status
- The Status will be either Open or Closed. Only open Bundles can be edited.
- Bundle Type
The options may vary for each church, but the basic types are Pre-printed Envelopes, Generic Envelopes, Loose Checks and Cash, Online, Online Pledge, Gift-In-Kind, and Stock.
- Bundles Page
This page, which is accessed at Administration > Contributions > Bundles, is where you will find a list of all Bundles. On this page there are links that allow you to edit a Bundle, edit the details of a Bundle (PostBundle) or print a Deposit Report. You will also see the sum of the items that have been posted to the Bundle in the column ‘Bundle Items’. That total and the Bundle Total must match in order to close the Bundle. Open Bundles display first, and then Closed Bundles.
- Contribution Date
- This is the date a contribution is received by your church. Normally, this will be a Sunday. However, it might be a different day if you receive contributions in the mail. For online giving, it will be the actual date the contribution is made.
- Contribution Statement
This is the IRS compliant record of a person’s donations that you can mail to the donor. You can generate these for an individual or for the entire church. You specify the date range that you want to include and you have other options as well.
- Contribution Type
- The type will be Regular (cash and checks), Online, Returned Check, Reversed, Pledge, Non Tax-Deductible, Gift in Kind, or Stock. The type displays on the Contribution Search page.
- Deposit Date
- The date a deposit is made to the bank.
- Deposit Report
This is a report of a specific day’s deposits broken out by cash, check and coin by Bundle. It is accessed by clicking any Deposit Date in the list of Bundles on the Bundles Page. This helps as you prepare you actual bank deposit slips.
- Electronic Only
This is a setting under Statement Options. When checked, it indicates that the donor does not want to receive a paper Statement. They will log on and print their own Statement.
- Envelope Options
The options are the same as for Contribution Statements (Individual, Joint or None) and determine whether a couple receives one envelope for the couple (Mr. and Mrs. John Smith) or individual envelopes or if they receive envelopes at all. This is used only for churches that use an envelope service and mail pre-printed envelopes.
- Fund Totals Report
This is a report for a specific Bundle that provides a breakdown of contributions by fund. It indicates the Bundle ID #, the contribution date, the list of funds included and the totals for each fund. It is accessed from the PostBundle Page using the fund totals link.
A Fund is an account to which a person can donate and receive contribution credit.
A Pledge is the record of a person’s intent to contribute a specified amount of money to a specific ‘pledge fund’.
This is the page where you will enter the individual contribution details to be posted to the donor’s giving record. There are links to edit the contributions, to delete a contribution, and a link to each individual’s contribution page. There is also a link to a Fund Totals report and a link to return to the Bundles Page.
- Posting Date
- This is the date you close the Bundle.
This is the term used to refer to contributions that need to be divided/split between two or more funds.
- Statement Header
This is the church’s name and address to appear in the return address field on the Contribution Statement.
- Statement Notice
This is the ‘no goods or services’ disclaimer/statement that appears on the Contribution Statement.
- Statement Option
These are the options for how donors wish to receive their Contribution Statements - either Individual, Joint and None and determine whether contributions are combined on a statement for a married couple or if they receive individual statements for their contributions. If None is the option selected, a statement will not generate for that person.
- Total Header
- This is the amount that you enter when you create the Bundle. This assumes that you have already counted the Bundle at this point.
- Total Items
- This is the calculated total of the individual contributions for a Bundle. The Total Items must match the Total Header before you can close the Bundle.
- Transactions Log
This page lists all online transactions, which includes Online Giving and Online Recurring Giving. There are reports that can be accessed from this page that help reconcile your bank statement. We do not intend for you to use this page to post contribution summary numbers to the general ledger. You use the Totals by Fund report for that.