User Selects and Compute Org by Birthdate Registrations¶
Before you try creating one of the registrations discussed in this article, we recommend that you start with a simple registration first. This is to ensure that you understand all the settings and how online registration works. See these articles which have companion videos as well.
See a demonstration of how to create a User Selects type of registration.
User Selects Organization¶
This type of online registration presents the registrant with a list of available organizations, with radio buttons. This allows you to post one link (URL) on your website, or to send one Register Link to your targeted audience instead of posting or sending separate links for each organization.
With User Selects type of online registration the Accounting Code that will display on the Transactions Log and on the Totals by Description Report, will be the number entered on the Fee tab of the Master Org, not the PickList Orgs. If the PickList Orgs will need separate Accounting Codes, do not use User Selects as the registration type.
Use Cases for User Selects Organization
Wednesday night Discipleship classes, Life Groups or Community Groups, or Music Lessons.
This style will work any time you have organizations that have a Division in common and you want to display them in a list for the person to make a selection.
See 2 ways to use Compute Org by Birthdate in this video.
The Totals by Description Report will display the GL Codes on the Fees tab of the Master Org, not from the pick list orgs. So, if you will want to see Accounting Codes from each individual org, do not use User Selects or Compute Org by Birthday as the Registration Type. Use a basic Join Org Registration Type.
Compute Org by Birthdate¶
This type of registration places the registrant in an Organization based on their date of birth and gender (optional). For this type, you also post or send only one link.
You must select Start and End Birthday ranges for all organizations included in the pick list. This is set on the Settings > Attendance tab under the Check-In section.
Use Cases for Compute Org by Birthdate
Vacation Bible School classes, Ball Teams, or Children’s Choirs
In this case, the registrant does not choose the organization. It is chosen for them, so a list is not presented. This style is designed for organizations in which the registrants are grouped together, not based on their selection, but based on their age. Gender can also be applied, but is optional.
This registration type also works well for an event in which an adult will register and must also register a child or children for childcare. The registrants will be placed in the correct org based on their date of birth.
You can download this Excel Spreadsheet to help you calculate the birth dates.
If your registration will allow for a Deposit (so the registrant can make subsequent payments), do not use either of these types of registrations. Use a Join Org registration type instead.
Also, you cannot use the Maximum Limit on the Pick List orgs when using a Master org with Compute Org by Birthdate registration type. You can check Registration Closed on an individual org when you want to turn off registration for one of the orgs in the pick list, and no one will be able to register for that org. But you might prefer to not use a Master Org when you have limits on the number of registrants. When you use User Selects, a pick list org that has reached the maximum limit will still display in the list, but it will have a line through it and no one can select it.
- User Selects and Compute Org by Birthdate
Similarities and Differences
- Each type has a Master Org for the registration link and individual organizations (the Pick List) in which the people are actually enrolled.
- The individual organizations are where you add the Questions, Fees, Start and End Birthday Ranges, Gender, Location.
- The Master Org is where you put the Confirmation, Online Notify Person, Registration Start and End dates.
You can have a confirmation and online notify person on each org, instead of the Master Org, if you prefer.
Create a Master Org with Pick List¶
- Step 1
- Create the Organizations for the individual classes or by make them Active if they already exist.
- Step 2
Some things you will set on the individual organizations, and there are other things that can be set on the Master Org.
- For each individual organization, set the Registration Type to Join Organization.
- If you are asking Questions and have Fees they must be set on each individual organization.
- Also set the Location, Start and End Birthday Ranges (required if using Compute Org by Birthdate or if you plan to use the org for check-in), Entry Point, Schedule, where applicable.
- Set the Start Date and End Date (these display in the list when registering).
- At this point, do not set the confirmation or instructions on the individual organizations.
- If you want the leader’s name to display in the pick list, add them to the org and give them a member type matching the Leader Type for the org.
For Compute Org by Birthdate, you must add the Start and End Birthday dates on all organizations in the pick list. Also, select a Gender if your organizations are separated by gender, for groups such as boys and girls soccer.
- Step 3
- Create an Organization to serve as the Master Org Organization.
- Make sure it is in the same Program and Division as the individual organizations you will use for the registration.
- The name of this Master Org will be the header your registrant will see on the registration form. Example: Discipleship Registration or Youth Soccer Registration
- Set the Registration Type to either User Selects Organization or Compute Org by Birthdate depending on what you need.
- On the Registration > Registration tab click Choose Organizations to select the Organization Pick List (the organizations into which the registrant will actually be enrolled)
- Check the box beside the appropriate organizations, and then click Update Selected
- On the Messages tab create the Email Confirmation and select the Online Notify Person
- Also, on the Messages tab, create any Instructions you want to display
Sort Order for the Pick List
If you are selecting the organizations for use with User Selects, the orgs will display in the order in which you choose them initially. However, you can change the order in which they will display in the list by clicking on Choose Organizations and then use the Move to Top link beside the orgs to adjust the order.
If you want different confirmations for each organization, you can put the Email Confirmation and Online Notify Person on each individual organization, instead of on the Master Org.
Also, the Master Org label in the organization header is set automatically once the organization has User Selects or Compute Org by Birthdate as the Registration Type and it has organizations in the Pick List.
- Step 4
- Go to the Master Org, click Try Registration
- The link (URL) to post on your website and the organization ID to use in RegisterLinks will be from the Master Org, not the individual organizations.
If you are on an individual organization, there will be a convenient link back to the Master Org on the Registration > Registration tab,
If you are on the Master Org, the organizations in the Pick List are links to those organizations.
- Will this type of registration work if each individual organization has different fees (or if some have no fees)?
- Yes — That is why those settings are placed on each organization, not on the Master Org. If you use a Maximum Fee, it will apply only for people registering for that same specific Organization. It will not apply to multiple organizations. Each Organization would need its own maximum.
- Can I copy the registration settings and paste them in another organization or organizations?
- Yes — Once you have the settings created, go to the Blue Toolbar > Gear > Administrative > Copy Settings. Then filter on Organizations > Search / Manage page for the organizations where you want to paste the settings (can be multiple orgs). Then select Blue Toolbar > Gear > Paste Settings.
- Will all the settings be copied and pasted if I follow the above instructions?
- No — The Location, Description, Max Limit will not be copied and pasted as those settings are usually different for each organization.
- What if we need to close the registration for one or more of the orgs in the pick list, but not the entire registration? Can we do that?
- Yes — You can check either the box Registration Closed or Class Filled (depending on the message you want to display to the registrant). If you have a Max Limit on any org in the pick list and that limit has been reached, that will also close registration for that specific org.
- How can I prevent people from registering for more than one org when I have a Master Org set with User Select Reg Type?
- Sometimes you may want people to register once and return and make another selection, as long as all the classes do not meet at the same time. But when you do not want that, the best way to prevent multiple registrations for different orgs is to use the Other Org ID to Join feature on each of the orgs in the pick list. Enter the org ID# for the Master Org. This will place the registrant in both the pick list org as well as the Master Org, which will prevent them from using the Master Org again to register for another org.