This condition on the Personal category tab in Search Builder allows you to search for people by their First Name, using all of part of the name.
The search will look at the entire name,
so be careful when using <= or <= and a single letter.
If you want one group whose names start with
through names that start with
The Comparisons are:
- Equal- returns an exact match
- Starts With - matches the beginning letters
- Ends With - matches the ending letters
- Contains - matches letters anywhere inside the name
- Does Not Start With - does not match the beginning letters
- Does Not End With - does not match the ending letters
- Does Not Contain - does not contain specific letters
- Not Equal - not a match
- After - returns any names alphabetically after the letter or letters entered in the Value field
- AfterOrSame - same as above, but includes the letter or letters entered in the Value field
- Before returns any names alphabetically before the letter or letters entered in the Value
- BeforeOrSame - same as above, but includes the letter or letters entered in the Value field
The system will consider all the letters in the name.
So, when using
Equals N, for example, you will literally get only those
whose first name is N, not Nate or Ned.
You could, however, use
After or Same
and the letter
N and return those whose first name begins with an N
or any other subsequent letter of the alphabet.
If you also add
Before or Same and the letter
P, you would get those who names
begin with N or O, and anyone whose names was exactly P.
But you would not get those whose first name is Pat or Paul.
Modify image link with secure protocol.