Small Group Finder Step 1 - Create the Organizations¶
If you have not read the Overview about how the Small Group Finder works, you will want to do so before proceeding.
Create the Organizations¶
You can use existing organizations or create new ones. Each organization that you want to display must be in a common Division and should have the following elements:
- A Leader is a member of the org that has a Member Type matching the Leader Type of the organization. This is so the Leader’s name will display along with the name of the class.
- The location is set in the Settings > General tab of the organization. This is a room number or the name of the location, such as Midtown Coffee House or John and Mary Smith’s home.
- The Description is also on the Settings > General tab. See below for instructions in embedding a link to a map in the description and the Tip for editing descriptions from the Organizations > Search / Manage page.
- Extra Values
- If you want filters, such as an age range, that will display on the finder, you will need to add Extra Values to each organization. See below for instructions for creating these.
An easy way to edit the Descriptions for several organizations is to go to Organizations > Search / Manage page, filter for the orgs you need, then select the Public View tab. You can click Edit in the Description column for each of the orgs and add the description right there. When you click save on the text editor, the description is saved on the org.
Create Extra Values¶
To create the Filters (Extra Values) on each organization:
- Step 1
- Go to Settings > Extra Values on each organization.
- Step 2
- Click Show Ad Hoc Values then click + Add Extra Value button.
- Step 3
Select Multi-Line Text, enter the Field Name you want to display, using a prefix of SGF: - ex. SGF:Gender (Only the name will display, not the prefix.)
Enter the Value - ex. Coed
Continue adding Ad Hoc Extra Values on each organization for each Filter.
Allowing Online Registration
If you decide to allow online registration (the text for the Layout includes the link), remember to set up the organization with Registration Type of Join Org and add the Confirmation, and all the other elements for a normal online registration. Also, if you prefer to add registrants as Prospects instead of Members, check that box on the Registration > Registration tab, in the Join Type section.
Put the Organizations in the Same Division¶
Make sure that all of the organizations you want to present in the Small Group Finder are in the same Division. You can create a new Division just for these organizations. Or, if they are already in the same Division and if you are planning to display all of the organizations in that Division, you can use the existing one.
If you want to display all the orgs in several Divisions, they do not have to be in the same Division. You will be able to enter all the Division ID # separated by a comma when you get to Step 4.
Now, you just need to find the Division ID#. This is the number you will put in the XML file when you create it, so make a note of it.
To find the Division ID#, go to Administration > Divisions. The Division ID is the number in the column on the left.
If you would like to include a map in the description of the small group, here is what you will do for each organization.
- Step 1
- Go to Google maps, enter the street address and search.
- Step 2
Check the Short URL box and then copy the link.
- Step 3
Go to the organization Settings > General tab and click Edit then click Edit by the Description. This opens the same text editor used when creating an email, so you can format the text using the toolbar.
Under the regular class description, type
Click for map, highlight the text, select the link icon from the toolbar and paste the link in the URL box. Then click OK.
Click Save in that text editor, then click Save for that tab.
You can also insert the map link by editing the description as described in the Tip above.
Tracking Attendance for Small Groups¶
The Small Group Finder is using organizations inside TouchPoint. Therefore, you will track attendance just like you would for any other organization. If these small groups meet in homes, the leader will probably want to track attendance using the TouchPoint App on their iPhone or Android.
If the groups meet at the church, you can use rollsheets or even self-checkin. The key to remember is that these organizations are just like any other organization in TouchPoint.