Small Group Finder Step 4 - Create the XML File¶
If you have not read the Overview about how the Small Group Finder works, or Steps 1 and 2, you will want to do so before proceeding.
Create the Small Group Finder XML file¶
This file is where you enter the ID #(s) for Division(s) you are using for your small groups, the name of the Layout and Gutter files you just created.
- Step 1
- Go to Administration > Special Content > Text Content tab,
and click + New Text File.
Enter the File Name as
SGF-Main.xmland click Submit.
This is not the same tab as the one used for the layout and gutter. The XML file is created on the Text Content tab, and the layout and gutter were created on the Html Content tab.
- Step 2
Copy and paste the following into the text box:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <SGF divisionid="" layout="SGF-Layout" gutter="SGF-Gutter"> <SGFSettings> <SGFSetting name="SubmitText" value="Find Groups" /> <SGFSetting name="ShowHeaders" value="true" /> <SGFSetting name="TextSize" value="18" /> <SGFSetting name="FontFamily" value="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" /> <SGFSetting name="BGColor" value="#FFFFFF" /> <SGFSetting name="FGColor" value="#000000" /> </SGFSettings> <SGFFilters> <SGFFilter name="SGF:Gender" title="Gender" locked="false" lockedvalue="" /> <SGFFilter name="SGF:Childcare" title="Childcare" locked="false" lockedvalue="" /> <SGFFilter name="SGF:Location" title="Location" locked="false" lockedvalue="" /> </SGFFilters> </SGF>
- Step 3
After you paste the text into the new text file, there are changes you will need to make. These are listed below.
- Enter the Division ID # inside the quotation marks in line 2
divisionid=. If you are using multiple Divisions, comma-separate them without a space. Example:
- On that same line, enter the Layout Name inside the quotation
layout=, only if you named your file something other than SGF-Layout.
- The same thing is true for the gutter.
Enter the Gutter Name inside the quotation
gutter=, only if you named your file something other than SGF-Gutter.
- Enter the Division ID # inside the quotation marks in line 2 after
- Step 4
The filters are the drop downs that will display on the finder, if you added Ad Hoc Extra Values with the prefix SGF: on each of the Organizations. We include some basic filters in the above text. The order in which you see these in the XML file, is the order in which they will display on the finder. You can cut and paste to change the order. Notice that all of these are set as
locked=false. If you want a filter that cannot be changed, you can set it to true. You may want to contact support for help with that and to learn more about how that works.
Example: <SGFFilter name=”SGF:Gender” title=”Gender” locked=”false” lockedvalue=”” />
- In this example, we have an Extra Value named SGF:Gender on each organization,
with values on each org are either
Coed. The title is what will display as the title / label of the drop down. the name and the title do not have to be the same. However, the
namemust match exactly with the Extra Value on the orgs.
- If your Extra Values are different, just edit the name and title. If you have more Extra Values that you want to use for filters, just copy one of those entire lines of text and paste if below one of the others. Then edit the name and title.
- If you are not using filters, just remove the name and title from one link and leave it there as a template, in case you want to use them in the future. Then delete the other lines of text that begin with <SGFFilter.
- In this example, we have an Extra Value named SGF:Gender on each organization, with values on each org are either
- Step 5
There are several lines of text for Settings.
- The Submit Text is the text on the button
they will click to filter for a group.
You can rename it from
Click Hereor whatever you like. It just needs to be fairly short.
- Show Headers can be set either
false, depending on whether or not you want to display this text at the very top of the page: Select Group Options, and Search Results - Group(s) Found.
- Text Size can be increased or decreased, and affects all the text on the page.
- The other settings relate to fonts and colors. If you know HTML you can edit those as needed.
- The Submit Text is the text on the button they will click to filter for a group. You can rename it from
- Step 6
- After making all the edits listed above, click Save Content.
Optionally, you can create a shell for your Small Group Finder page. To make a default shell for all your SGF sites, go to Administration > Special Content > HTML Content and create a file named ShellDefaultSGF and edit it as desired. (You can use your ShellDefaultBs as a starting point.) To have a custom shell for any one of your Small Group Finders, create the file for the shell in HTML Content and specify it in the .xml file in the style below.
<SGF layout="SGF-Layout" shell="MyCustomShell">
Check Out your Small Group Finder¶
This is the URL you will use https://YOURCHURCH.tpsdb.com/SmallGroupFinder/Index/Main
This is also the link you will post on your website. Be sure to replace YOURCHURCH with the name of your church as it appears in your TouchPoint URL. Also, if your XML file is named something other than Main, be sure to use that in place of Main.
If you created multiple XML files in order to post different finders on specific websites (such as Adults, Students) you would name each XML file something different.
The name you use is the name that goes at the end of the URL.
The name that you use in the URL after /Index/,
does not include
Add to a Web Page¶
Use an <iframe> tag to embed the Small Group Finder into another web page. Example: <iframe src=”https://YOURCHURCH.tpsdb.com/SmallGroupFinder/Index/**Name” width=”800” height=”600” style=”border:0” />
YOURCHURCH would be replaced with your church name as in your TouchPoint URL,
Name would be replaced with the name of the XML file, such as