Search and then Add People¶
- Places to Add People
You will use the Search / Add dialog for the following reasons:
In each of these cases, the first thing you must do is search for the person in the database. Then search to see if there is an existing family member in the database. This training video demonstrates best practices for searching when adding a guest, new org member, etc.
If you are adding people to the Trial Database, just follow this same procedure. You can add new people as guests (as in the video) or as members of an organization, then create user accounts for them.
Notes on Searching¶
However you are adding a person, when you click Add Member, Add Guest, etc. a search dialog will open. The process is the same whether regardless of the context.
- You will always search for the person first.
- If you do not find the person, you will search for anyone in the family.
- Then you can either add a new person to an existing family or create a new family.
Search for one criteria at a time, adding more as necessary to narrow the search.
Proper searching helps ensure that you get the desired results and helps prevent the creation of duplicate records.
Reasons why you might not find a person who is in the database:
- The person might be in the database in a different family or in a family by himself
- The person might be in the database with a different phone number or address
- The name might be spelled incorrectly
- A female might still be listed with a former name
When searching by name, the system will look for these name fields: first, preferred (Goes by), last, former.
If your church decides to use the Add Person button from the main menu, your System Admin can change the value of the setting MenuAddPeople from false to true.