Background Checks and Trainings with MinistrySafe¶
This is a third-party vendor that processes background and credit checks as well as trainings. As part of Volunteer Management, TouchPoint integrates with MinistrySafe to make it easy for you to request these for your volunteers or employees. Our integration allows you to request these directly from a person’s record in the database.
In order to use this feature, your church will first need to establish an account with MinistrySafe.
The billing for the background checks is between your church and MinistrySafe. There are no added fees from TouchPoint associated with this feature. You pay MinistrySafe directly.
Setting Up Your MinistrySafe Account¶
Once you have established an account with MinistrySafe, your system admin will need to log in to your account and go to the Developer Center.
- Generate API key
- Click the blue button that says Generate API Key.
- Add Webhook
If you are using BOTH background checks and training classes, you will need two webhooks. Click the blue Add Webhook button.
- Background Check Webhook
- Name: TouchPoint MS WebhookURL: https://mychurch.tpsdb.com/ExternalServices/MSResults (replace MyChurch with the portion of your TouchPoint URL that comes before
.tpsdb.com)Webhook for: Background Checks
- Training Classes Webhook
- Name: TouchPoint TC WebhookURL: https://mychurch.tpsdb.com/ExternalServices/TCResults (replace MyChurch with the portion of your TouchPoint URL that comes before
.tpsdb.com)Webhook for: Quizzes
Once all of those are set up, your system admin will click the gear icon and select Organization Settings. There are several optional settings that can be set here. Not all of the settings are required.
- Background Check Email
This is the email a person receives when someone has requested a background check using Email for Consent.
Contact Info - To set the Contact Name and Contact Email from who this message should be sent, go to Organization Settings > Background Checks Module Configuration and edit the Contact Name and Contact Email.
The email comes from the church’s name, but the actual email address is email@example.com.
Content - Background Check email text is not editable. Admins are not able to edit the style of the emails.
- Training Classes Email
This is the email a person receives when someone has requested a training class.
Contact Info - To set the contact name, go to Organization Settings > Sender SSA and select a User from that list. To be on that list, they must have already been added as a MinistrySafe user by an admin. When a training request is made, the email they receive will come from this person.
Content - To edit content on any of the Training email templates, go to Trainings > Training Settings
Go to Administration > Setup > Settings > Integrations > MinistrySafe and configure the following Required settings.
- Enable MS Background Checks
- Set this to True to enable background checks with MinistrySafe.
- MinistrySafe APIKey
- Enter the API Key created by your System Admin in your MinistrySafe account.
- MS API Base URL
Your System Admin can also set up the following Optional settings.
- Enable MS Background Labels
- If you want to use labels (for example, to track which department requests a background check), set this to True.
- Enable Training
- Set this to True to use MinistrySafe training classes.
Required User Roles¶
Assign the following roles to the user(s) who will use this feature. Your System Admin can add these roles if they are not already in your database.
- This is needed to manage the background check process.
- This is needed to request a background check but not view the Report Link. User should have either the BackgroundCheck or the BackgroundCheckRun role, but not both.
- This is needed to mangage the training classes process.
Now your database is ready to begin using MinistrySafe for background checks and training classes.
We have a SQL Recipe for a special Background Check Report. Your System Admin can add this to your database if you would like a report that you can run from the Blue Toolbar. The report will indicate if a person has a background check and has columns for each field, such as the Last Date Checked, Approval Status, and more.
Sample Background Check Report
If you want to use labels to indicate which department is requesting a background check, you have the option to use them. The purpose of labels is to distinguish background checks and/or credit checks for different purposes.
- Enable the setting
- Set the MS Background Labels setting to True if you want to use internal labels when submitting background checks or trainings.
- Add the labels
- Go to Administration > Setup > Lookup Codes > Miscellaneous > Background Check Labels and add the labels you have in MinistrySafe.
Added BackgroundCheckRun role