Online Giving Setup¶
See the video below for a quick walk through of how to configure your giving pages. Below the video are more detailed steps for the setup.
Steps to Configure Giving Pages¶
Setup for your online giving pages is done in several locations within TouchPoint. The steps listed below walk you through the process. At the end of this article is a video demonstrating some of the steps.
- Step 1 - Establish a merchant account
You will need a merchant account with a payment processor so your donors’ online transactions can be processed and the funds automatically deposited in your church’s bank account. For information about the payment gateways that are possible and how to configure them in your database, see Configuring Payment Gateways.
If you have already been offering online giving through TouchPoint, you will have already completed this step.
- Step 2 - Edit giving email templates
When you set up a Giving Page, you will configure the confirmation email that is sent for each of the following events:
- One Time Giving
- Pledge Setup
- Recurring Giving Setup
- Recurring Giving Cancelled
- Recurring Giving End Date (only needed if you allow an End Date for one or more funds)
Templates for each are provided in Special Content on the Email Templates tab. There you can modify the templates or create new templates modeled after these. Read more at Emails for Online Giving.
When a recurring gift is processed or if it fails, the donor is notified using the existing system-generated emails. Soon we will enable and document how to use the mobile-responsive email builder to customize these emails.
- Step 3 - Configure funds
There are three flags on funds that determine how they can be used:
- Allow End Date - When this is enabled, donors will be allowed to specify an end date when they schedule a recurring gift to this fund. When this option is disabled, recurring gifts to the fund will continue until the donor removes the schedule or the fund is closed.
- Pledge - Enabling this option designates the fund as one donors can pledge toward.
- Notes - When this option is enabled, donors can enter a note, such as a memorial, with their gift to this fund.
These settings can be configured on the Fund Management page (Administration > Fund Management) when the fund is edited.
- Step 4 - Adjust administration settings (min/max, cover fees, recurring frequencies, reCAPTCHA).
There are several administration settings related to online giving. These can be found at Administration > Settings on the Finance tab.
- MinimumGift and MaximumGift - These settings are in the Online Giving section and determine the smallest and largest gifts that can be made online. If no entry is made in the MaximumGift setting, no limit is imposed to how large the gift can be. However, the payment gateway or the donor’s bank may have limits in place. If no entry is made in the MinimumGift setting, the smallest gift that can be made is $1.01.
- Donor Covers Fee - In the Donor Covers Fee section are six settings to configure prompts for the
donor to pay the fees associated with the gift.
- EnableDonorCoversFee - When this is enabled, all giving pages will present the donor with the option of covering the fee.
- DonorCoversFeeOnByDefault - With this enabled, the option to cover the fee is selected (checked) by default. The donor does have the option of deselecting (unchecking) this before making payment.
- ACHFeeBase - This is the base fee you want to recoup when the donor makes an ACH payment and elects to cover the fee. It should be a dollar amount, such as 0.30.
- ACHFeePercent - This is the percent of the transaction you want to recoup when the donor makes an ACH payment and elects to cover the fee. It should be a number, such as 0.5.
- CreditDebitFeeBase - This is the base fee you want to recoup when the donor makes a bankcard payment and elects to cover the fee. It should be a dollar amount, such as 0.30.
- CreditDebitFeePercent - This is the percent of the transaction you want to recoup when the donor makes a bankcard payment and elects to cover the fee. It should be a number, such as 1.75.
- Recurring Frequencies - By default, donors are offered four options for frequency when setting up
schedule, recurring gifts – Weekly, BiWeekly, SemiMonthly, and Monthly. Two of these frequencies can
be disabled so that they are not offered as options – BiWeekly and SemiMonthly. In addition, two other
frequencies can be enabled so that they are offered as options – Quarterly and Annual. These options
are controlled by the following four settings in the Recurring section:
- EnableAnnualRecurring - Set this to True to include Annual as an option for recurring gifts or to False to remove it as an option.
- EnableBiWeeklyRecurring - Set this to True to include BiWeekly as an option for recurring gifts or to False to remove it as an option.
- EnableQuarterlyRecurring - Set this to True to include Quarterly as an option for recurring gifts or to False to remove it as an option.
- EnableSemiMonthlyRecurring - Set this to True to include SemiMonthly as an option for recurring gifts or to False to remove it as an option.
- RecurringGivingNotifyIds - Enter here one or more IDs of the people who should receive recurring giving notification emails (for gifts processed or failed). Separate the IDs by commas if there are multiple.
- reCAPTCHA - This setting is on the System tab and in the Security section. When enabled, payment pages are protected by reCAPTCHA against certain types of fraud and abuse by malicious bots.
- Step 5 - Customize the Shell(s)
- If you have not done so already, you will need to customize one or more shells for your Giving Pages. For more information, see Standard Shells for Online Registrations or Giving Pages and Default Shell for Online Registrations.
- Step 6 - Configure giving pages
Giving Pages are configured at Administration > Setup: Online Giving. You can configure multiple giving pages and, for each, specify the funds to include and what types of giving to offer (recurring, one-time, pledge). You can designate a default giving page (or, if you have multiple campuses, a default page for each campus).
To create a Giving Page, go to Administration > Setup: Online Giving and click the
+ Add Giving Pagebutton. To edit an existing Giving Page, click on its name. The Setup page has a tab for details and another for communications (settings for confirmation emails).
On this tab, you configure the Giving Page by entering details such as name, types of giving offered on the page, available funds, etc.
- Page Name - This name will be displayed at the top of the giving page, so enter a descriptive name so that the donor has a clear understanding of the purpose of the page.
- Page URL - The public URL for the giving page will begin with your church database domain
/Give/. For example
https://mychurch.tpsdb.com/Give/. By default, the URL will end with the name you set for the Giving Page. This ending will be appropriate in most cases, but can be modified, if you wish. However, please be aware that the URL must be unique and cannot be changed later. This prevents abandoned URLs. If you want to change a URL, you can disable the page and redirect it to a new giving page with the new URL.
- Giving Types - Select one or more giving types that will be allowed on this Giving Page. You can include any or all of Recurring, One Time, and Pledge.
- Page Shell - Select what shell to use for this Giving Page. The drop down list will include the HTML content files that have the Keyword Shell.
- Default Fund - From the drop down list of open funds, select the primary fund that gifts from this page will go to by default.
- Fund Options - From the drop down list of open funds, select any additional funds that donors can give to on this page. Each time you select a fund from the list, it is added. To remove a fund, click the x to the right of its name. On the Giving Page, these funds will be in a drop down menu in the order in which they are added.
- Entry Point - From the drop down list of available Entry Points, select the one that should be assigned when a new record is created for a donor that gives on this Giving Page. For more information about entry points, see Entry Point, Origin and Interest Point.
- URL Redirect - If you choose to disable this Giving Page, you can enter a fully qualified URL here to direct donors to if they try to visit this page.
- Campus - Optionally, from the drop down list of campuses, select the campus with which this Giving Page is associated. When a campus is assigned, in conjunction with the Main Campus Page toggle described below, you can set this Giving Page as the default page for the selected campus.
- Main Campus Page When a Campus has been selected, enabling this setting will make this Giving Page the default for the selected campus. This will control which giving page a donor receives when clicking the link on the Giving tab or their profile or from the Giving History page in the mobile app.
- Show Pledge Summary With this enabled, pledges and their balances will be displayed below One Time and Recurring giving for logged in donors. The pledge summary is always displayed below Pledge giving.
On this tab, you configure communications about this Giving Page, including optional instructions to display at the top of the page, designating from whom email confirmations should come and the templates to use.
Top Text - Optionally, enter text here to be displayed at the top of the giving page. For example, you can enter instructions for donors on how to use the Giving Page.
Email From - Confirmation emails will come from the person (or ministry record) selected here.
Confirmation Emails - For the remaining settings, choose an email template to be used as the confirmation email for that particular giving activity. The drop down list of available templates will include those that are limited to the role GivingEmailTemplates. The options on this page will be determined by the giving types selected on the Details tab.
- Pledge Confirmation Email - Select the template for the confirmation of a pledge.
- One Time Confirmation Email - Select the template for the confirmation of a one-time gift.
- Recurring Confirmation Email - Select the template for the confirmation when a donor schedules a recurring gift.
- Recurring Cancellation Email - Select the template for the confirmation when a donor removes a scheduled gift.
The Title of the template will be the Subject of the email that is sent.
After configuring the Giving Page and saving, the new or edited page will be listed on the main Online Giving Setup page. If you are ready for the Giving Page to be used, toggle the Enable flag to enable the page. You can also, if desired, set the Giving Page as the Default page—the Giving Page donors can access from their Giving tab or from the mobile app. This system-wide default is overridden by any campus defaults you have set.
- Step 7 - Publish Links
The list of configured Giving Pages on the main Online Giving Setup page includes the public URL for each of the pages. These links can be posted on your church website or otherwise distributed to potential donors.
Additionally, the links can be given the following controls:
Set a Default Type When a Giving Page has multiple giving types available, you can control the one initially selected by appending, for example,
?type=pledgeto the end of the public URL. The options for the three giving types are:
- recurring (
- onetime or once (
- pledge (
?typecontrol can also be used to set an initial frequency when the donor visits the Giving Page. To specify a default frequency, use one of the following. Whatever control you use must be one already available on the Giving Page.
- weekly (
- biweekly (
- semimonthly (
- monthly (
- quarterly (
- annually (
- recurring (
Set a Default Amount If you want to have a suggested amount already entered when the donor arrives on the Giving Page, append for example
?amount=100to the end of the public URL.
Change the Default Fund To change the default fund for the Giving Page, append for example
?fund=10to the end of the public URL where “10” is the fund ID you want as the default. This would be used to highlight a fund, different from the default, for a special campaign. You can, of course, modify the Giving Page if you need to change the default fund permanently. Whatever fund you specify must be one of the funds already available on the Giving Page.
When you are using multiple controls, precede the first with a
?and subsequent controls with
&. For example,
Unless you started using TouchPoint after November, 2020, there is one more step required! After you have configured and tested the new online Giving Pages, you will need to migrate to the new platform. See Migrating to the New Online Giving Pages for details.
Added links to related articles.