- Organization Type
This is a label for an organization and is designed to give you more flexibility in identifying organizations based on the function of the organization itself. New databases will not have any organization types, because org types will be different for each church and some churches may not use them. Your TouchPoint Admin can create these for your church.
On the Involvement tab of a people record, organizations are grouped by Organization Type (if any are defined). You can customize what information is displayed for each Organization Type on the Current, Previous, and Pending Involvement tabs.
The org type is a filter on the Organizations > Search / Manage page and each organization will display its org type in the header of the organization. Search Builder also allows you to search based on org type.
Possible Org Types
You decide what works best for your church. Here are some examples that would be applied to the organizations used for the following:
- Class: Sunday School classes, small groups, discipleship groups
- Event: Conferences, workshops, any kind of special event
- Trip: Camps, mission trips, senior adult trips
- Volunteer: Ushers, valet parking attendants, nursery workers
- Committee: Committees
Or perhaps you just want to ‘type’ them very broadly by using types such as the following:
- Education: Group receiving teaching (Sunday School, small groups)
- Service: Groups in which members are doing some type of service for others (Ushers, Mission Trip volunteers)
- Fellowship: Groups designed for interaction (camps, trips, ball teams)
Think about how you will use this feature before you start creating the organization types. You may not need them. However, churches with a lot of organizations could greatly benefit from this.
Using Org Types¶
Once you have created the organization types and assigned them to the appropriate organizations you can do the following:
- Filter for specific org types on the Organizations > Search/Manage page
- Use Search Builder to find individuals enrolled in a specific type of organization
- View a person’s Enrollment, organizations are grouped by org type
If your church wants every member to be part of a Bible study type of class, and serve in some capacity, for example, the org types will help you identify those that are involved in the types of activities you expect for an active member. You create a saved search in Search Builder using one of the org types, and make it a Status Flag search to see at a glance those involved in a specific type of org.
Create Organization Types¶
You must have Admin role in order to do this.
- Step 1
- Go to Administration > Set Up > Lookup Codes and select Organization Type. It is in the section named Organizations.
- Step 2
- Click the green +Add Organization Type button. Then enter a numerical ID (10, for example) and click the blue Submit button.
- Step 3
The page will scroll to the new Type. Click in the Code column where you see empty and enter a short code using letters (VOL, for example). Click the check mark in the blue box to save it. This is used mostly behind the scenes. The Description is what will display in Search Builder, on the org and in the filters.
Then click in the Description column and enter the text you want displayed as the type (Volunteer, for example). Click the check mark in the blue box to save it.
- Step 4
- Repeat the process for each org type you want to create, and then assign the org types to the appropriate organizations.
Assign Org Types to Organizations¶
Assign Org Type to One Organization¶
You must have Edit role in order to do this.
- Step 1
- Go to the individual organization and click Edit in the organization header.
- Step 2
- Select the Org Type from the drop-down, and then click Save Changes.
Assign Org Type for Multiple Organizations¶
You must have Org Tagger role in order to do this.
- Step 1
Go to Organizations > Search/Manage page and filter for the orgs for which you want to select an org type.
Then select the Management View tab.
- Step 2
- Select the appropriate Org Type from the drop-down list.
- Step 3
Click Apply to Filtered List, and then click Yes, apply changes.
This will set (or change) the org type for all orgs displaying in your filtered list.
Modify image link with secure protocol.