FAQs Regarding Contributions

See also


Contribution Statements

Can I print an individual contribution statement without having to run all the statements?

Yes. Go to the person’s record, click Giving > Statements. Click the year for which you want the Statement. This will generate as a PDF file. A donor with a user account can do this themselves.

See Options for Generating Statements.

Can I have the Check Numbers and/or Notes print on the Contribution Statements?

Yes. There are some special settings for this.

See Statement Settings Options.

Posting Contributions / Batches

What if the Batch Total is incorrect in the Batch Header and my Batch won’t balance? Can it be fixed?

Yes. You cannot close the Batch if the totals do not match. You can edit contributions to balance. If the initial Estimated Amount and Count are incorrect, you can edit these as well.

If you have made Reversals (for corrections) or Returns (for returned checks) after a Batch is closed, those totals will no longer match. The Batch will then have a Header Amount that is more than the Total Items Amount, because you removed a transaction/contribution. This is correct behavior.

How do I record a contribution when the person gives one check with different amounts going to different funds?

This is what we call a split contribution. This can be entered as a split when the contribution is first added, or a scanned check can be edited to split the funds in the batch.

How do I account for the loose cash that we get in the offering when we don’t know who gave it?

Create a new record in the database with a name something like Loose Change or Offering Plate. Then you assign all the unidentifiable contributions to that record.

Is there a way to record and track Pledges?

Yes. TouchPoint tracks Pledges and how much has been given toward them, and also has a way to pledge online.

See also

Can I use the old Envelope Numbers from our previous church management system when posting contributions?

Yes, you can do this by using a simple code when entering the contribution.

Corrections & Returns

How can I make a correction if a contribution gets recorded to the wrong person?

If the batch is still open, just go to the batch, click the batch number, edit the specific contribution and select the correct donor to replace the incorrect one.

If the batch is closed, you should make a Reversal.

Is there a way to record that a check was returned for insufficient funds?

Yes. We have a very simple Return feature. This applies to online giving that fails due to insufficient funds as well.

Reports / Summary Totals

How do I find the summary totals to post into the general ledger?

Run the Totals by Fund Report to get those numbers.

What if I don’t get any data when I generate the Totals by Fund report?

That usually means that you need to close the Batches for that data range.

See also


Latest Update


Updated terminology of bundles to batches